Site navigation

arrow

arrow
Arrow. Mer (Murray Island), Torres Strait, Queensland. 
Australian Museum 
photographer: AM, Anthropology Dept - Finton Mahony
 
Summary:
E018414 - 3/8/1910, arrow, Mer (Murray Islands), Torres Strait, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Item Name:
arrow
Label:
An arrow made from reed with a carved wooden point, which is attached with string, resin and a leather band. On the point is a carved design, filled with white ochre and it has two sets of four barbs. It is said to be used in warfare. It is called "opop" or "le op" by the Meriam people. It is from the old 1910 collection; collected by C.M. Lewis in 1836. (144x1.4cm.)
Place:
Mer (Murray Islands)
Region:
Torres Strait
Province/State:
Queensland
Country:
Australia
Collection Area:
Australia
Museum Department:
Anthropology
Registration Date:
03/08/1910
Registration Number:
E018414
Associated Stories:
Phillip Parker King (1791-1856)
Foundation of Anthropology Collections
Images
1:
Arrow. Mer (Murray Island), Torres Strait, Queensland. 
Australian Museum 
photographer: AM, Anthropology Dept - Finton Mahony
2:
Arrow. Mer (Murray Island), Torres Strait, Queensland. 
Australian Museum 
photographer: AM, Anthropology Dept - Finton Mahony
3:
Arrow. Mer (Murray Island), Torres Strait, Queensland. 
Australian Museum 
photographer: AM, Anthropology Dept - Finton Mahony
4:
Arrow. Mer (Murray Island), Torres Strait, Queensland. 
Australian Museum 
photographer: AM, Anthropology Dept - Finton Mahony
5:
Arrow. Mer (Murray Island), Torres Strait, Queensland. 
Australian Museum 
photographer: AM, Anthropology Dept - Finton Mahony
6:
Arrow. Mer (Murray Island), Torres Strait, Queensland. 
Australian Museum 
photographer: AM, Anthropology Dept - Finton Mahony
7:
Arrow. Mer (Murray Island), Torres Strait, Queensland. 
Australian Museum 
photographer: AM, Anthropology Dept - Finton Mahony
8:
Details of four bamboo arrows with carved hardwood barbed points attached to the shaft with string and leather band. It is called "opop" and "le op" by the Meriam people. It was collected for the Museum by C. Hedley and A.R. McCulloch in 1907. (112x1.8cm) 
Australian Museum 
photographer: AM, Anthropology Dept - Unknown